Wednesday, June 28, 2017

The Plan

As you have perhaps deduced from this post's title, I have a plan.

I know I don't exactly have the best track record with plans, or following through with them, or sometimes even starting them, but this time shall be different.

I know there's no real reason to think that this time shall be different from any other time because this blog is nothing if not a well-documented account of each and every one of my failed plans, but somehow that never seems to stop me from creating a new one.

I have only failed on the day I stop trying. Right, Nathan Fillion?




Right.

So. The Plan. Next week, maybe, I shall tell you the inspiration behind The Plan (it'll depend on my mood), but today is all about The Plan itself. It's probably going to look just like one of my monthly goal lists, but here we go:

The Plan

1. Stick Full Circle (Book #3 in my fantasy series) on the shelf.

After a fast and furious start, I've kind of stalled out on this project. I'm disappointed, but not surprised. I have to do some thinking and revising of the plot to try to reconcile a few issues I've been having with it, and I believe I shall have greater luck with this if this project is not my main focus (And if you're currently thinking, "Gee, M.J., you know you haven't published Book #2 yet, right?" the answer is yes, I do know this, and I am working on it. It may not be reflected in this particular plan, but I am working on it. I swear.). So it's going on the shelf. For now. It won't stay there indefinitely. There are two characters with whose story line I'm pretty obsessed. This book will be finished if for no other reason than those two.

2. Find an illustrator.

I've mentioned before my desire to one day publish a book of the work-themed, somewhat sarcastic haiku I wrote during my job at The Store. And I am currently inspired to try to accomplish this goal sooner rather than later. So, I have half a plan for it (a plan within the plan, if you will), and that half a plan requires an illustrator. I've started to do some preliminary research for this, and I'm excited by the prospect. I think it could be fun.

3. Write a new novel.

As I mentioned in part one of The Plan, Full Circle can't be my main focus, which means I need something else on which to focus, and that is a new novel. Well, an old half-finished project that I've been essentially ignoring since 2009. Essentially the same thing, right? Anyway, I've pulled it out of the archives and will be attempting to whip it into shape. It was supposed to be a romance novel, but it turned out that I am about as good as writing a happy love story as I am on following through with plans. One of my critique partners said she didn't want my hero and heroine to spend anymore time together, which (and correct me if I'm wrong) is probably not the feedback one wants when one is striving to write a romance. But I still really like the characters, so I'm going to give their story another go.

4. Write this new novel in a month.

Which means it's time for another action-packed installment of...



That's right—in order to help me reach my new-novel goal (or at least give it a nice kick-start), I shall be participating in next month's Camp NaNoWriMo session. It's been a while since I've done NaNoWriMo in any way, shape, or form, and it's always a good time. (Almost always...) I'm really looking forward to giving it another go.


So that's The Plan. We'll see how long it lasts. Let's just hope that this:



doesn't turn into any kind of Jessie Spano-type meltdown.

But I'm sure that'll be fun too.


So, what's going on in your neck of the woods? Any romance authors out there have any tips for me?

Have a great Wednesday, everyone. See y'all next time.

32 comments:

  1. Considering all the NaNo winner badges in your sidebar, I think you just might accomplish this plan.
    Sorry, no tips on romance. I can barely write a kissing scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait...they're supposed to kiss? Oh man... *goes back to drawing board*

      Delete
  2. Maybe it could be an anti-romance novel? You know how there are subcategories like paranormal romance, etc? Yours could be the anti-romance romance. :)

    Good luck with Camp NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to figure out how an anti-romance romance would work, actually. You know, just in case.

      Delete
  3. OK, so some romances (not that I read them or anything) do start with a couple characters that shouldn't be spending any time together. This is what is called an obstacle to their HEA. You as an author get to overcome this obstacle to make them fit together. In other words, you've started off with a good conflict. Now you just need to resolve it.

    Or, use the characters in another genre. That works, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to do one of those two things during Camp next month. I don't even really care which one. I just like the characters, you know?

      And I've read the occasional romance novel, but perhaps it's time for me to make a more serious study of the genre.

      Delete
    2. Be careful, then. There are some truly awful ones. And then some others that I will deny enjoying...

      Delete
    3. There are some awful ones. I read one a few years ago that my mother found at the library. She said, "You have to read this book—it's terrible!" And it really was. It was unintentionally hysterical.

      Let me know if you have any recommendations...good, bad, or in between. :)

      Delete
    4. I'll have to look through my ereader and see what I can come up with. I'll email you.

      Delete
  4. Woot woot for the plan! I'm absolutely horrible at romances, so I have no suggestions, only understanding.

    I've found shelving stuff helps me, especially when it comes to sparking the passion when I pick it up again.

    And you just took me back to my Saved by the Bell days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping someone would get that reference. :)

      Delete
  5. Love the plan!

    You write romance like I do - I realised a long time ago that I generally dislike the HEA, and will do everything I can to sabotage it for my characters. I tried, once, I really did, they had plans to live in a cottage in the countryside and everything... but it didn't end so well :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally dislike the HEA, too...When I started this project in 2009, I just wanted to see if I could write one. Perhaps the answer is just no?

      Delete
  6. I imagine your former romance novel is going to change a bit. Good luck. just let everything happen naturally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine so, too. I can't wait to find out what it's actually supposed to be. :)

      Delete
  7. A new novel in a month. That's going to be quite a...feat?
    Ordeal? Burst of insanity? All of the above? Well, good luck. Stay focused, MJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've hit 50,000 words in one month, but it's never amounted to a completed novel. I suspect the same will hold true this next month as well, but a girl a dream, right?

      (And insanity...definitely insanity.)

      Delete
  8. Pretty much all of my romances end up being forbidden and/or secret, so I'm probably no help.
    Good luck with Camp NaNo! I'm contemplating doing it with some sort of editing goal. I should probably make a decision on that at some point...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a couple more days to decide...(Also, how is it freaking July already?!?)

      Delete
  9. LOL, I'm probably not the best person to give romance tips, since I tend to aim rocket launchers at a lot of mine... XD

    Anyway, best of luck with your plan! A book full of sarcastic work haikus sounds like a lot of fun, for sure. And how exciting about Camp NaNoWriMo, too. Hope this ends up being the motivation you need to bring your latest manuscript to life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how most of the commenters on this post approach romance like I normally do. Makes me feel less alone. :)

      Delete
  10. Good luck! Wish I was doing Camp NaNoagain this year, but life has other plans for me, apparently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally relate. Life had other plans for me the past couple of sessions. I'm kind of hoping that Life will stay out of it this time around, but we'll see.

      Delete
  11. I love your plan! It sounds so much like one of mine. I'm going to finish my WIP "Eclipse: Book 1 of The Greenling Chronicles" this month ... somehow. I haven't signed up for Camp NaNoWriMo, but maybe I should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you should! It's so much fun!

      Best of luck finishing your WIP!

      Delete
  12. Trying my first go at romance right now, too. I'll be waiting to hear how it goes for you!

    @mirymom1 from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm sure it'll be a main feature on the blog next month. That is, if I remember to blog during all the craziness.

      Delete
  13. ooh, you are brave. Though I do think something new to work on can sometimes provide impetus to continue revising the old. I did write a romance one...West of Paradise ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck on all those plans! All I can contemplate is getting ready for the Twitter pitch fest later this month and it will be a miracle if I can pull that off. My kids are being extra-needy, so I don't know if any other projects have a prayer until next September.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck with NaNo! I love your plan and feel sure you'll have another NaNo badge in your sidebar by this time next month.
    Wish I could help with the romance but I am the world's worst when it comes to that. I don't know what it says about me but it's much easier to write brutal horrible murders than it is to write a kiss.
    Good luck again!

    ReplyDelete